Over the course of the next few months, we will transition students, faculty and staff from our current Groupwise email service to a cloud-based service called Exchange Online on Microsoft 365.
WHAT IS MICROSOFT Office 365?
Office 365 is a cloud-based service that provides access to email, online versions of Microsoft’s Office suite (including Word, Powerpoint and Excel), online document storage, web conferencing and team sites for sharing and collaborating.
At this time, we will be implementing the Email portion of Microsoft Office 365 – or Exchange Online. This service will provide Faculty, Staff and Students the flexibility to easily access their email from anywhere in the world.
Faculty and Emeriti: Beginning April 22nd
Staff: Beginning in early June
Students: Beginning in August
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU:
- Increased mailbox sizes – 25 gigabytes.
- A more powerful and user-friendly interface for web based email access.
- The mobile capabilities and ease of mobile connections will be much improved. And there will no longer be a need to use VPN to access your Wooster e-mail.
- You will receive an email in advance with information on how to access the Outlook Web interface and how to connect your desktop client to the new server. If you would like additional assistance or training in setting up a connection to email via a mobile device or desktop client, we will work with your schedule to set up an appointment and provide training on the new applications.
- We will begin transitioning email for Faculty on April 22nd.
- We will begin transitioning email for Staff in Late May, early June.
- We will begin transitioning email for Students in August.
- If you have questions or concerns about this transition, please contact the Technology Help Desk at 336-287-4357 (HELP).
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Unless you are actually using the GroupWise application to read and send mail, you do not need to change the application you use to do e-mail.
- If you are using GroupWise as your primary e-mail and calendaring application, we will work with you to begin using Microsoft Outlook or Mail (the mail application that comes with Macs). Introductory and in-depth training will be provided.
- If you are forwarding your e-mail to Gmail, you can keep doing that. You will just need to set up a rule in the Outlook Web App to forward your mail. Click here to learn how.
- If you are keeping your e-mail on our GroupWise servers, we will move your mail, folders, contacts and so forth, to Exchange Online before you begin accessing your e-mail on Exchange Online via either the Outlook Web App, Mac Mail or the Outlook desktop client.
- Once your migration starts, you should have access to Office 365 Web Access immediately, and all your new email should arrive there.
- Please refer to the steps below for accessing your email after the migration process has completed (After April 22nd).
Consider these questions before migrating to Microsoft 365:
- Do you share your calendar with anyone? Do you access a shared calendar?
- Do you have proxy access to certain accounts?
- Do you have a smartphone?
- Do you archive your email?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, please share this information the technology staff who can help you set up these features in the new system.
AFTER MIGRATION (HOW DO I CHECK MY EMAIL?)
There are several ways to connect to your College of Wooster email on Office 365 (Exchange online):
Using your Wooster computer
You can use the Outlook Web Access (OWA) site to access your email from your computer. Web access to your Office 365 account is available from anywhere you have Internet access using Microsoft’s Outlook Web App. Web access is full-featured and provides a nearly identical experience to Microsoft Outlook.
When you’re finished using the Web App, remember to choose sign out and then close out of the browser.
OR, If you prefer to use a desktop client, we recommend using the Outlook (Windows and Mac) client to manage your email when using your computer. Mail (Mac computers) will also work as an email client. Information Technology staff will help you reconfigure your computer to work with Microsoft 365 and to set up archiving.
Follow the step-by-step instructions here to configure Outlook or Mac Mail on your computer.
Using another computer
When checking email on another computer or from home, we recommend using Outlook Web Access (OWA). You can log in to from any computer with an internet connection at http://
Instructions on how to login with screenshot.
Using mobile devices
Office 365 can be used on many mobile devices, including those running Apple iOS, Android, Windows and others. Follow the step-by-step instructions here to configure your mobile device to access your College of Wooster email, contacts and calendar appointments on Office 365.
- Making the switch – Groupwise to Outlook documentation.
- A guide to the Outlook Web App
- An introduction to Outlook 2010 and 2011 (Mac)
- Office 365 – A tour
- Using rules to redirect messages in 365 to other accounts
An Introduction to 365 – An introductory workshop on the Outlook Web App and Outlook and Mac Mail desktop clients for faculty. Tuesday, April 16th, 4:00pm Lean Lecture Hall.
An Introduction to 365 – An introductory workshop on the Outlook Web App and Outlook and Mac Mail desktop clients for faculty. Wednesday, April 17th, 4:00pm Lean Lecture Hall.
Making the switch – Groupwise to Outlook – A workshop geared toward helping you transition from the Groupwise Desktop Client to the Outlook Desktop Client. Wednesday, April 24th, 4:00pm Lean Lecture Hall.
Making the switch – Groupwise to Outlook – A workshop geared toward helping you transition from the Groupwise Desktop Client to the Outlook Desktop Client. Thursday, April 25th, 4:00pm Lean Lecture Hall.
Don’t worry, we’re here to help! 330-287-4357 * firstname.lastname@example.org