What is it?
The OneDrive application provides access to cloud storage for files through the College’s OneDrive for Business and Office 365 service. OneDrive is Microsoft’s service for hosting files in the “cloud” (much like Google Drive or Dropbox). As part of your Office 365 account provided by the college, OneDrive for Business lets you update and share your files from anywhere and work on Office documents with others at the same time.
Download the free desktop version or mobile app and connect to your College OneDrive account.
- OneDrive Desktop Version for Mac
- OneDrive Desktop Version for PC
- OneDrive app for iOS on iTunes
- OneDrive app for Android on Google Play
*When OneDrive launches you will be prompted to sign in using your College of Wooster credentials. You will also be prompted with a request for your two-factor authentication.
STUDENTS: Please note that your access to the OneDrive service is only available while you are a student at Wooster. Once you graduate, your access to those files will go away. Be sure to backup those files to another storage location before you graduate.
Downloading OneDrive Desktop Version from the Online Version:
OneDrive can be found online via Microsoft 365 where you can log into your College of Wooster email. In the upper left-hand corner of the window, there is a square/waffle, which drops down to reveal all of the Office 365 applications. By selecting an application within this menu you will launch its online version.
- Login to your College of Wooster email using a web browser (outlook.office.com)
- Click the square/waffle symbol in the upper left hand corner of the window.
- A drop down menu should appear with Office 365 applications, click on “OneDrive.”
- When OneDrive launches there should be a menu along the left hand side. In the lower left hand corner select “Get the OneDrive apps.”
- When the new page launches, click on Download.
- Click “Install/Save” and allow the file to be saved.
- If the installation does not run automatically, find the installer package in your Downloads folder.
- Choose “Run,” and follow the guided steps of installation wizard.
OneDrive gives you free online storage for all your personal files so you can get to them from a web browser or from your computer (PC or Mac) or mobile device. With the College’s OneDrive for Business, you also get storage for your files so you can share and collaborate on them with other people on campus.
- Browse all your OneDrive files and files shared with you.
- Share your files with other College users.
- Move, delete, and rename files, and create new folders.
- Open your OneDrive files in other apps, including Office apps such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Quickly get to documents you’ve recently opened.
- Search for your files and folders.
Note: to edit files on your mobile device visible in your OneDrive, you must use separate apps such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps.
Checking Installation and Connection on Mac and Windows
Who uses it?
OneDrive files are easily accessible and can be shared with others. OneDrive can be used for private work or as a collaborative storage space.
How does it work?
Cloud storage can allow you to access documents anywhere or anytime with internet access. You can even download files to work on with out internet connection and sync them back to the original file when internet access becomes available again.
How Files Appear in File Storage
A OneDrive folder named “OneDrive-The College of Wooster” will be added to your computer. In your file storage check the left sidebar for this folder.
Uses as an Educational Technology
This application can allow faculty and staff to share documents and watch changes in real time. You can also comment on changes and send the document back to its original state, if the changes are not correct. It allows for a safe collaborative space.
Resources at Wooster
- Watch the recording from our Cloud Storage in M365 1-hour Microsoft Trainer session (12/16/20) in Teams on your computer or mobile app.
source: app description taken from iTunes Preview