SketchUp is a free 3D modeling software that has several uses ranging from architectural design, interior design, civil and mechanical engineering, and video game design. There is a free web-based version available, SketchUp Free. For powerful computers, SketchUp offers trial versions of their software, SketchUp Pro.
What can it do?
- Export a 2D image of the object you’ve created
- Various templates for different applications (engineering, architecture, carpentry, etc)
- Color and texture tools
- Library of free 3D models to speed up work
Uses in a Course
- Create 3D representations of real or imaginary objects.
- An artist can model a piece they might like to create.
- Engineering and architectural representations of objects.
- Students can re-create a venue or building from the past for understand historical architecture and society.
Things to Consider Before Using SketchUp
- There is a significant learning curb to learn how to draw in 3D
- It can get confusing for beginners which plain you are on (X,YZ axis)
- Web-browser version isn’t as secure software as it can change at anytime
- SketchUp is available as a web-based software.
- SketchUp Pro has a downloadable trail version for Windows 10 and Mac.