The Teams Meeting experience includes a number of features that you can use for video and audio. This post will guide you through the Teams Meeting experience.
- See our Resources section below for guides, videos, and support pages.
- Faculty, see our Ready Your Class Team for Meetings checklist.
Teams Meetings Features
A popular feature of Teams is a Teams meeting video call. Users do not need to be a member of an official Team in order to schedule, create, or join a call.
A new Meeting and Calling Experience is available in the Microsoft Teams app! Watch “Teams: Join a Meeting in a Channel” (in our College Stream) to see the new Meeting experience.
|Accessing Teams||See Accessing Teams below or page 7 of our documentation|
|Creating a Meeting from Outlook calendar||1. Watch our 4 minute how-to video|
2. See page 9 of our documentation
|Schedule Class Teams Meetings Using Class Short Code||View our Moodle Documentation|
|Meeting notifications||For information about who gets notified about Teams meetings, see this article from Office 365 IT Pros|
|Adjust Meeting Options/Settings||• See page 14 of our documentation|
• See this Meeting Participants Microsoft support page
• Update before the meeting from the Teams calendar = Watch this new feature “students must wait in lobby”
• Update during the Meeting = Watch Update Meeting Options directly from the meeting participants panel
|Join a Meeting from your Teams calendar||Watch the first minute of Microsoft’s training video|
|Join a Meeting from your Outlook calendar||1. Watch Using Microsoft Teams for video calls (in Stream)|
2. See page 15 of our documentation
|Join a Meeting inside a Teams channel||Watch “Teams: Join a Meeting in a Channel” (in Stream) |
[features New Meeting Experience pop-out meeting window]
|Use the Large Gallery View (49 people) and Together Mode||Watch this 1 minute Microsoft Teams quick tip video|
|Use a custom background image for your video||Watch this 1 minute Microsoft Teams quick tip video |
See this Microsoft support page
|Share your Screen||•Watch this 1 minute Microsoft Teams video|
•See this Microsoft page *Mac adjust System Preferences
•See How to present in Microsoft Teams meetings with two monitors
•For sharing PowerPoint, see this post on the 3 ways:
1. Built-in share using PowerPoint lite
2. Desktop share
3. Presenter view share
|Share your Screen with System Audio (Windows only)||Watch this 1 minute Microsoft Teams quick tip video or see this Microsoft support page to play the audio on your computer through to the participants in the Teams meeting. |
Not available on Mac. See our work around below.
|Take control of other user’s screen||See this Microsoft page|
|Live Captions||Watch this 50 second Microsoft Teams quick tip video|
|Organizer: Download the meeting attendance report||1. Watch this 1 minute Microsoft Teams quick tip video |
2. See this Microsoft support page for further support
|Record a Meeting (saved to Stream)||1. See this How to Record Your Microsoft Teams Meeting |
2. See page 17 of our documentation.
|Record a Presentation with “Meet Now”||Watch Using Teams “Meet now” to record your presentation and share your screen (in Stream)|
|Create Channel Meeting||Watch How to Create Virtual Breakout Groups in Teams|
|Use the New Breakout Rooms in Meetings||Watch How to Use the New Breakout Rooms in Teams Meetings|
|Chats||1. See Microsoft’s Training Video on chats|
2. See page 21 of our documentation
|Organizer: End the Meeting||Watch this 30 second Microsoft Teams quick tip video|
|Share a Recording via Stream||1. Watch Sharing Teams Meeting Recordings on Stream|
2. See page 18 of our documentation
- We recommend users download the Team’s desktop client application.
- Teams is available in Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome web browsers. *Teams is not supported in Safari or Firefox browsers*.
- See directions for installing Microsoft Teams for Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android.
- Make Meetings Easy with Microsoft Teams (document)
- Teams Documentation (Word document)
- Best Practices for Teams (document)
- Best Practices: Teams Meetings (website post)
- Best Practices: Teams Setup
- Recording from our Livestreaming your Lessons workshop (3/17/2020)
- Recording from our Microsoft Teams for Communication: Teams Meetings and Chat 1-hour Microsoft Trainer session (12/8/20)
- Microsoft Teams Official video training
- Microsoft Teams support
- Microsoft Teams quick tip videos (playlist of short YouTube videos)
- Visit our Microsoft Teams post for general information on Teams.
- Visit our Microsoft Teams Type post for information on the different types of Teams available.
- Visit our Class Teams post for information on Class Teams.
Sharing computer audio on a Mac
If you are on a Mac, this option is not yet available. Therefore, your only choice is to not wear earbuds/headphones and let the sound of the video play out of your computer’s speakers. The audio will be picked up by the computer’s microphone and played through the Teams meeting for others to hear.
This is particularly important if your students are attempting to share audio and are on a Mac.